Here’s a checklist of essential features and functions that every business blog should have:
- A business blog must be self-hosted. Steer clear of Blogger.com, Blogspot, WordPress.com, etc.
- A comment moderation system and a comment spam filter.
- A “contact us” page – A business blog can be an excellent source of sales leads, and a contact page serves as a conduit for those leads.
- An “about” page that describes the blog author(s), blog purpose, and blog goals.
- W3C compliant design – As more and more devices can be used to view the Internet, it’s important to follow W3C design guidelines to maximize the number of devices that can be used to view your blog.
- Email and RSS subscription options – RSS feed readers are popular among people who read a lot of blogs, so offering an RSS subscription option is wise. Email subscription should be offered as well.
- A comment subscription option – Blogs are all about creating a conversation, so a blog must give visitors the opportunity to subscribe to the conversation via email and RSS.
- Automated backups – We’ve never lost one blog here at Spork Marketing…but we’ve come close. Take our word for it – backup early and backup often.
- Ensure compatibility with embedded videos – Embedding a popular video from YouTube, MetaCafe, and/or one of 100 other video sites is an easy way to generate a blog post and start a conversation. Just make sure those video embeds function on tablets and smartphones in addition to desktops and laptops.
- A good SEO plugin – Whatever blogging platform you use, make sure it has the best SEO plugin available.
- A bookmarking and sharing system – Make sure your readers can tweet, like, share, or bookmark your posts quickly and easily.
- Analytics – Every website should have analytics.
- Ongoing blog maintenance and management, including blog software updates – Blog software must be updated frequently to guarantee security and proper function, and outsourcing these maintenance functions is a best practice.
- Fast load times…site speed is more important than ever.
Finally, our recommended blog platform is the self-hosted version of WordPress, a simple and secure database-driven blog content management system.
If you’re interested in creating a blog for your business, learn more about our Business Blog Management Services or contact us to discuss your blogging goals.